My work focuses on urbanisation in Johannesburg. My interest in the city of Johannesburg developed out of the fact that it is the city that I have grown up in since the age of four. I have had the pleasure of witnessing South Africa’s first democratic votes in 1994, and seeing Johannesburg’s transformation from the early nineties, mid-nineties to the present. I still live in Johannesburg and am confronted by poverty, pollution, and urban decay every day of my life. I have seen the effects that
urbanisation has had on the city of Johannesburg in relation to its physical change, socio-economic and political change post-apartheid. My areas of interest are the people who live in the inner city and the environment within the inner city.
My work deals with the negative effects of rapid urbanisation in Johannesburg and the pressures and the strains of the people I encounter and interact with on a daily basis as we go about our business. Based on my encounters with these people I felt the need to investigate the social predicament of my city and understand the root causes of the current inner city decay.
My work is a form of social commentary and deals with the socio-economic challenges that the majority of black South Africans face in post-colonial South Africa. My focal subject matter is rapid urbanisation in the inner city of Johannesburg and the pollution and rubbish among which the inner city residents live. My paintings incorporate more than one medium as they are a fusion of collage and acrylic paint. My works are produced from actual photographs that I take on my daily travels around the inner city of Johannesburg and its outskirts.
• Ekurunuleni Thami Mnyele Fine Arts Awards ,Curated group Exhibition
• North-South central Fringe of Johannesburg, Curated group Exhibition
• North-South central Fringe of Bloemfontein, Curated group Exhibition
• University of Johannesburg final examinations group exhibition, UJ FADA Gallery
• University of Johannesburg Student Show Case group Exhibition, UJ FADA Gallery
• North-South Student Show Case traveling group Exhibition, UJ FADA Gallery
• North-South Student Show Case traveling group Exhibition, BODUTU Gallery
• North-South Student Show Case traveling group Exhibition, TUT Gallery
• North-South Student Show Case traveling group Exhibition, CUT Freestate Gallery
• MAP(Mashumi Art Projects) group Exhibition, Nex Dor Resturant Vilakazi street Orlando- Soweto West
• University of Johannesburg Final Examinations BTech group Exhibition, UJ FADA Gallery